Lisbon

Phototag with 67 photos

Praça do Comércio, Lisbon, Portugal
The Praça do Comércio is a large, harbour-facing square in Portugal's capital, Lisbon, being one of the largest in Portugal, with 175 by 175 m (574 by 574 ft), that is, 30,600 m2 (329,000 ft2). Facing the Tagus (Tejo) to the South, the city square is still commonly known in Portuguese as Terreiro do Paço as it hosted the Paço da Ribeira (Royal Palace of Ribeira) until it was destroyed by the great 1755 Lisbon earthquake (the subway station located there is still called after the old name of the square). After the earthquake, the square was completely remodeled as part of the rebuilding of the Pombaline Downtown (Baixa), ordered by Sebastião José de Carvalho e Melo, 1st Marquis of Pombal, who was (chief) Minister of Portugal from 1750 to 1777, during the reign of the Portuguese King José I.
Praça do Comércio, Lisbon, Portugal
Praça do Comércio, Lisbon, Portugal
The Praça do Comércio is a large, harbour-facing square in Portugal's capital, Lisbon, being one of the largest in Portugal, with 175 by 175 m (574 by 574 ft), that is, 30,600 m2 (329,000 ft2). Facing the Tagus (Tejo) to the South, the city square is still commonly known in Portuguese as Terreiro do Paço as it hosted the Paço da Ribeira (Royal Palace of Ribeira) until it was destroyed by the great 1755 Lisbon earthquake (the subway station located there is still called after the old name of the square). After the earthquake, the square was completely remodeled as part of the rebuilding of the Pombaline Downtown (Baixa), ordered by Sebastião José de Carvalho e Melo, 1st Marquis of Pombal, who was (chief) Minister of Portugal from 1750 to 1777, during the reign of the Portuguese King José I.
Praça do Comércio, Lisbon, Portugal
Santa Maria Maior de Lisboa, Lisbon, Portugal
The Cathedral of Saint Mary Major (Portuguese: Santa Maria Maior de Lisboa), often called Lisbon Cathedral or simply the Sé (Sé de Lisboa), is a Roman Catholic cathedral located in Lisbon, Portugal. The oldest church in the city is the seat of the Patriarchate of Lisbon. Built in 1147, the cathedral has survived many earthquakes and has been modified, renovated and restored several times. It is nowadays a mix of different architectural styles. It has been classified as a National Monument since 1910.
Santa Maria Maior de Lisboa, Lisbon, Portugal
Castelo de São Jorge, Lisbon, Portugal
São Jorge Castle (Portuguese: Castelo de São Jorge) is a historic castle in the Portuguese capital of Lisbon, located in the freguesia of Santa Maria Maior.
Castelo de São Jorge, Lisbon, Portugal
Rua Augusta, Lisbon, Portugal
Rua Augusta, Lisbon, Portugal
Arco da Rua Augusta, Lisbon, Portugal
The Rua Augusta Arch (Portuguese: Arco da Rua Augusta) is a stone, triumphal arch-like, historical building and visitor attraction in Lisbon, Portugal, on the Praça do Comércio. It was built to commemorate the city's reconstruction after the 1755 earthquake. It has six columns (some 11 m high) and is adorned with statues of various historical figures. Significant height from the arch crown to the cornice imparts an appearance of heaviness to the structure. The associated space is filled with the coat of arms of Portugal. The allegorical group at the top, made by French sculptor Célestin Anatole Calmels, represents Glory rewarding Valor and Genius.
Arco da Rua Augusta, Lisbon, Portugal
Praça do Comércio, Lisbon, Portugal
The Praça do Comércio is a large, harbour-facing square in Portugal's capital, Lisbon, being one of the largest in Portugal, with 175 by 175 m (574 by 574 ft), that is, 30,600 m2 (329,000 ft2). Facing the Tagus (Tejo) to the South, the city square is still commonly known in Portuguese as Terreiro do Paço as it hosted the Paço da Ribeira (Royal Palace of Ribeira) until it was destroyed by the great 1755 Lisbon earthquake (the subway station located there is still called after the old name of the square). After the earthquake, the square was completely remodeled as part of the rebuilding of the Pombaline Downtown (Baixa), ordered by Sebastião José de Carvalho e Melo, 1st Marquis of Pombal, who was (chief) Minister of Portugal from 1750 to 1777, during the reign of the Portuguese King José I.
Praça do Comércio, Lisbon, Portugal
Praça do Comércio, Lisbon, Portugal
The Praça do Comércio is a large, harbour-facing square in Portugal's capital, Lisbon, being one of the largest in Portugal, with 175 by 175 m (574 by 574 ft), that is, 30,600 m2 (329,000 ft2). Facing the Tagus (Tejo) to the South, the city square is still commonly known in Portuguese as Terreiro do Paço as it hosted the Paço da Ribeira (Royal Palace of Ribeira) until it was destroyed by the great 1755 Lisbon earthquake (the subway station located there is still called after the old name of the square). After the earthquake, the square was completely remodeled as part of the rebuilding of the Pombaline Downtown (Baixa), ordered by Sebastião José de Carvalho e Melo, 1st Marquis of Pombal, who was (chief) Minister of Portugal from 1750 to 1777, during the reign of the Portuguese King José I.
Praça do Comércio, Lisbon, Portugal
Praça do Comércio, Lisbon, Portugal
The Praça do Comércio is a large, harbour-facing square in Portugal's capital, Lisbon, being one of the largest in Portugal, with 175 by 175 m (574 by 574 ft), that is, 30,600 m2 (329,000 ft2). Facing the Tagus (Tejo) to the South, the city square is still commonly known in Portuguese as Terreiro do Paço as it hosted the Paço da Ribeira (Royal Palace of Ribeira) until it was destroyed by the great 1755 Lisbon earthquake (the subway station located there is still called after the old name of the square). After the earthquake, the square was completely remodeled as part of the rebuilding of the Pombaline Downtown (Baixa), ordered by Sebastião José de Carvalho e Melo, 1st Marquis of Pombal, who was (chief) Minister of Portugal from 1750 to 1777, during the reign of the Portuguese King José I.
Praça do Comércio, Lisbon, Portugal
Praça do Comércio, Lisbon, Portugal
The Praça do Comércio is a large, harbour-facing square in Portugal's capital, Lisbon, being one of the largest in Portugal, with 175 by 175 m (574 by 574 ft), that is, 30,600 m2 (329,000 ft2). Facing the Tagus (Tejo) to the South, the city square is still commonly known in Portuguese as Terreiro do Paço as it hosted the Paço da Ribeira (Royal Palace of Ribeira) until it was destroyed by the great 1755 Lisbon earthquake (the subway station located there is still called after the old name of the square). After the earthquake, the square was completely remodeled as part of the rebuilding of the Pombaline Downtown (Baixa), ordered by Sebastião José de Carvalho e Melo, 1st Marquis of Pombal, who was (chief) Minister of Portugal from 1750 to 1777, during the reign of the Portuguese King José I.
Praça do Comércio, Lisbon, Portugal
Praça do Comércio, Lisbon, Portugal
The Praça do Comércio is a large, harbour-facing square in Portugal's capital, Lisbon, being one of the largest in Portugal, with 175 by 175 m (574 by 574 ft), that is, 30,600 m2 (329,000 ft2). Facing the Tagus (Tejo) to the South, the city square is still commonly known in Portuguese as Terreiro do Paço as it hosted the Paço da Ribeira (Royal Palace of Ribeira) until it was destroyed by the great 1755 Lisbon earthquake (the subway station located there is still called after the old name of the square). After the earthquake, the square was completely remodeled as part of the rebuilding of the Pombaline Downtown (Baixa), ordered by Sebastião José de Carvalho e Melo, 1st Marquis of Pombal, who was (chief) Minister of Portugal from 1750 to 1777, during the reign of the Portuguese King José I.
Praça do Comércio, Lisbon, Portugal
Lx Factory, Lisbon, Portugal
In 1846, one of Lisbon’s most significant factories, the weaving and textile company Companhia de Fiação e Tecidos Lisbonense, found its home in Alcântara. In the following years, the 23.000m2 industrial site was occupied by the food processing company Companhia Industrial de Portugal e Colónias and by printers Anuário Comercial de Portugal and Gráfica Mirandela. After years of being hidden from the public eye, this little fraction of the city has now been unveiled and returned to the community in the form of Lx Factory. This creative hub is fuelled by companies and industry professionals, but it has also been brought to life by an array of different events in fields such as fashion, advertising, communication, multimedia, art, architecture and music, among others, which have encouraged countless visitors to rediscover this part of Alcântara.
Lx Factory, Lisbon, Portugal
Lx Factory, Lisbon, Portugal
In 1846, one of Lisbon’s most significant factories, the weaving and textile company Companhia de Fiação e Tecidos Lisbonense, found its home in Alcântara. In the following years, the 23.000m2 industrial site was occupied by the food processing company Companhia Industrial de Portugal e Colónias and by printers Anuário Comercial de Portugal and Gráfica Mirandela. After years of being hidden from the public eye, this little fraction of the city has now been unveiled and returned to the community in the form of Lx Factory. This creative hub is fuelled by companies and industry professionals, but it has also been brought to life by an array of different events in fields such as fashion, advertising, communication, multimedia, art, architecture and music, among others, which have encouraged countless visitors to rediscover this part of Alcântara.
Lx Factory, Lisbon, Portugal
Lx Factory, Lisbon, Portugal
In 1846, one of Lisbon’s most significant factories, the weaving and textile company Companhia de Fiação e Tecidos Lisbonense, found its home in Alcântara. In the following years, the 23.000m2 industrial site was occupied by the food processing company Companhia Industrial de Portugal e Colónias and by printers Anuário Comercial de Portugal and Gráfica Mirandela. After years of being hidden from the public eye, this little fraction of the city has now been unveiled and returned to the community in the form of Lx Factory. This creative hub is fuelled by companies and industry professionals, but it has also been brought to life by an array of different events in fields such as fashion, advertising, communication, multimedia, art, architecture and music, among others, which have encouraged countless visitors to rediscover this part of Alcântara.
Lx Factory, Lisbon, Portugal
Lx Factory, Lisbon, Portugal
In 1846, one of Lisbon’s most significant factories, the weaving and textile company Companhia de Fiação e Tecidos Lisbonense, found its home in Alcântara. In the following years, the 23.000m2 industrial site was occupied by the food processing company Companhia Industrial de Portugal e Colónias and by printers Anuário Comercial de Portugal and Gráfica Mirandela. After years of being hidden from the public eye, this little fraction of the city has now been unveiled and returned to the community in the form of Lx Factory. This creative hub is fuelled by companies and industry professionals, but it has also been brought to life by an array of different events in fields such as fashion, advertising, communication, multimedia, art, architecture and music, among others, which have encouraged countless visitors to rediscover this part of Alcântara.
Lx Factory, Lisbon, Portugal
Lx Factory, Lisbon, Portugal
In 1846, one of Lisbon’s most significant factories, the weaving and textile company Companhia de Fiação e Tecidos Lisbonense, found its home in Alcântara. In the following years, the 23.000m2 industrial site was occupied by the food processing company Companhia Industrial de Portugal e Colónias and by printers Anuário Comercial de Portugal and Gráfica Mirandela. After years of being hidden from the public eye, this little fraction of the city has now been unveiled and returned to the community in the form of Lx Factory. This creative hub is fuelled by companies and industry professionals, but it has also been brought to life by an array of different events in fields such as fashion, advertising, communication, multimedia, art, architecture and music, among others, which have encouraged countless visitors to rediscover this part of Alcântara.
Lx Factory, Lisbon, Portugal
Lx Factory, Lisbon, Portugal
In 1846, one of Lisbon’s most significant factories, the weaving and textile company Companhia de Fiação e Tecidos Lisbonense, found its home in Alcântara. In the following years, the 23.000m2 industrial site was occupied by the food processing company Companhia Industrial de Portugal e Colónias and by printers Anuário Comercial de Portugal and Gráfica Mirandela. After years of being hidden from the public eye, this little fraction of the city has now been unveiled and returned to the community in the form of Lx Factory. This creative hub is fuelled by companies and industry professionals, but it has also been brought to life by an array of different events in fields such as fashion, advertising, communication, multimedia, art, architecture and music, among others, which have encouraged countless visitors to rediscover this part of Alcântara.
Lx Factory, Lisbon, Portugal
Lx Factory, Lisbon, Portugal
In 1846, one of Lisbon’s most significant factories, the weaving and textile company Companhia de Fiação e Tecidos Lisbonense, found its home in Alcântara. In the following years, the 23.000m2 industrial site was occupied by the food processing company Companhia Industrial de Portugal e Colónias and by printers Anuário Comercial de Portugal and Gráfica Mirandela. After years of being hidden from the public eye, this little fraction of the city has now been unveiled and returned to the community in the form of Lx Factory. This creative hub is fuelled by companies and industry professionals, but it has also been brought to life by an array of different events in fields such as fashion, advertising, communication, multimedia, art, architecture and music, among others, which have encouraged countless visitors to rediscover this part of Alcântara.
Lx Factory, Lisbon, Portugal
Lx Factory, Lisbon, Portugal
In 1846, one of Lisbon’s most significant factories, the weaving and textile company Companhia de Fiação e Tecidos Lisbonense, found its home in Alcântara. In the following years, the 23.000m2 industrial site was occupied by the food processing company Companhia Industrial de Portugal e Colónias and by printers Anuário Comercial de Portugal and Gráfica Mirandela. After years of being hidden from the public eye, this little fraction of the city has now been unveiled and returned to the community in the form of Lx Factory. This creative hub is fuelled by companies and industry professionals, but it has also been brought to life by an array of different events in fields such as fashion, advertising, communication, multimedia, art, architecture and music, among others, which have encouraged countless visitors to rediscover this part of Alcântara.
Lx Factory, Lisbon, Portugal
Lx Factory, Lisbon, Portugal
In 1846, one of Lisbon’s most significant factories, the weaving and textile company Companhia de Fiação e Tecidos Lisbonense, found its home in Alcântara. In the following years, the 23.000m2 industrial site was occupied by the food processing company Companhia Industrial de Portugal e Colónias and by printers Anuário Comercial de Portugal and Gráfica Mirandela. After years of being hidden from the public eye, this little fraction of the city has now been unveiled and returned to the community in the form of Lx Factory. This creative hub is fuelled by companies and industry professionals, but it has also been brought to life by an array of different events in fields such as fashion, advertising, communication, multimedia, art, architecture and music, among others, which have encouraged countless visitors to rediscover this part of Alcântara.
Lx Factory, Lisbon, Portugal
Lx Factory, Lisbon, Portugal
In 1846, one of Lisbon’s most significant factories, the weaving and textile company Companhia de Fiação e Tecidos Lisbonense, found its home in Alcântara. In the following years, the 23.000m2 industrial site was occupied by the food processing company Companhia Industrial de Portugal e Colónias and by printers Anuário Comercial de Portugal and Gráfica Mirandela. After years of being hidden from the public eye, this little fraction of the city has now been unveiled and returned to the community in the form of Lx Factory. This creative hub is fuelled by companies and industry professionals, but it has also been brought to life by an array of different events in fields such as fashion, advertising, communication, multimedia, art, architecture and music, among others, which have encouraged countless visitors to rediscover this part of Alcântara.
Lx Factory, Lisbon, Portugal
Lx Factory, Lisbon, Portugal
In 1846, one of Lisbon’s most significant factories, the weaving and textile company Companhia de Fiação e Tecidos Lisbonense, found its home in Alcântara. In the following years, the 23.000m2 industrial site was occupied by the food processing company Companhia Industrial de Portugal e Colónias and by printers Anuário Comercial de Portugal and Gráfica Mirandela. After years of being hidden from the public eye, this little fraction of the city has now been unveiled and returned to the community in the form of Lx Factory. This creative hub is fuelled by companies and industry professionals, but it has also been brought to life by an array of different events in fields such as fashion, advertising, communication, multimedia, art, architecture and music, among others, which have encouraged countless visitors to rediscover this part of Alcântara.
Lx Factory, Lisbon, Portugal
Lx Factory, Lisbon, Portugal
In 1846, one of Lisbon’s most significant factories, the weaving and textile company Companhia de Fiação e Tecidos Lisbonense, found its home in Alcântara. In the following years, the 23.000m2 industrial site was occupied by the food processing company Companhia Industrial de Portugal e Colónias and by printers Anuário Comercial de Portugal and Gráfica Mirandela. After years of being hidden from the public eye, this little fraction of the city has now been unveiled and returned to the community in the form of Lx Factory. This creative hub is fuelled by companies and industry professionals, but it has also been brought to life by an array of different events in fields such as fashion, advertising, communication, multimedia, art, architecture and music, among others, which have encouraged countless visitors to rediscover this part of Alcântara.
Lx Factory, Lisbon, Portugal
Torre de Belém, Lisbon, Portugal
Belém Tower (Portuguese: Torre de Belém) is a 16th-century fortification located in Lisbon that served as a point of embarkation and disembarkation for Portuguese explorers and as a ceremonial gateway to Lisbon. It was built during the height of the Portuguese Renaissance, and is a prominent example of the Portuguese Manueline style. Since 1983, the tower has been a UNESCO World Heritage Site, along with the Jerónimos Monastery.
Torre de Belém, Lisbon, Portugal
Tejo, Lisbon, Portugal
The Tagus (Spanish: Tajo; Portuguese: Tejo) is the longest river in the Iberian Peninsula. The river rises in the Montes Universales in mid-eastern Spain, flows 1,007 km to empty into the Atlantic Ocean near Lisbon. Its mouth is a large estuary culminating at the major port, and Portuguese capital, Lisbon.
Tejo, Lisbon, Portugal
Padrão dos Descobrimentos, Lisbon, Portugal
Padrão dos Descobrimentos (Monument of the Discoveries) is a monument on the northern bank of the Tagus River estuary, in the civil parish of Santa Maria de Belém, Lisbon. Located along the river where ships departed to explore and trade with India and the Orient, the monument celebrates the Portuguese Age of Discovery (or Age of Exploration) during the 15th and 16th centuries.
Padrão dos Descobrimentos, Lisbon, Portugal
Mosteiro dos Jerónimos, Lisbon, Portugal
The Jerónimos Monastery (Portuguese: Mosteiro dos Jerónimos) is a former monastery of the Order of Saint Jerome near the Tagus river in the parish of Belém, in the Lisbon Municipality, Portugal; it was secularised on 28 December 1833 by state decree and its ownership transferred to the charitable institution, Real Casa Pia de Lisboa. The monastery is one of the most prominent examples of the Portuguese Late Gothic Manueline style of architecture in Lisbon. It was classified a UNESCO World Heritage Site, along with the nearby Tower of Belém, in 1983.
Mosteiro dos Jerónimos, Lisbon, Portugal
Mosteiro dos Jerónimos, Lisbon, Portugal
The Jerónimos Monastery (Portuguese: Mosteiro dos Jerónimos) is a former monastery of the Order of Saint Jerome near the Tagus river in the parish of Belém, in the Lisbon Municipality, Portugal; it was secularised on 28 December 1833 by state decree and its ownership transferred to the charitable institution, Real Casa Pia de Lisboa. The monastery is one of the most prominent examples of the Portuguese Late Gothic Manueline style of architecture in Lisbon. It was classified a UNESCO World Heritage Site, along with the nearby Tower of Belém, in 1983.
Mosteiro dos Jerónimos, Lisbon, Portugal
Mosteiro dos Jerónimos, Lisbon, Portugal
The Jerónimos Monastery (Portuguese: Mosteiro dos Jerónimos) is a former monastery of the Order of Saint Jerome near the Tagus river in the parish of Belém, in the Lisbon Municipality, Portugal; it was secularised on 28 December 1833 by state decree and its ownership transferred to the charitable institution, Real Casa Pia de Lisboa. The monastery is one of the most prominent examples of the Portuguese Late Gothic Manueline style of architecture in Lisbon. It was classified a UNESCO World Heritage Site, along with the nearby Tower of Belém, in 1983.
Mosteiro dos Jerónimos, Lisbon, Portugal
Mosteiro dos Jerónimos, Lisbon, Portugal
The Jerónimos Monastery (Portuguese: Mosteiro dos Jerónimos) is a former monastery of the Order of Saint Jerome near the Tagus river in the parish of Belém, in the Lisbon Municipality, Portugal; it was secularised on 28 December 1833 by state decree and its ownership transferred to the charitable institution, Real Casa Pia de Lisboa. The monastery is one of the most prominent examples of the Portuguese Late Gothic Manueline style of architecture in Lisbon. It was classified a UNESCO World Heritage Site, along with the nearby Tower of Belém, in 1983.
Mosteiro dos Jerónimos, Lisbon, Portugal
Mosteiro dos Jerónimos, Lisbon, Portugal
The Jerónimos Monastery (Portuguese: Mosteiro dos Jerónimos) is a former monastery of the Order of Saint Jerome near the Tagus river in the parish of Belém, in the Lisbon Municipality, Portugal; it was secularised on 28 December 1833 by state decree and its ownership transferred to the charitable institution, Real Casa Pia de Lisboa. The monastery is one of the most prominent examples of the Portuguese Late Gothic Manueline style of architecture in Lisbon. It was classified a UNESCO World Heritage Site, along with the nearby Tower of Belém, in 1983.
Mosteiro dos Jerónimos, Lisbon, Portugal
Mosteiro dos Jerónimos, Lisbon, Portugal
The Jerónimos Monastery (Portuguese: Mosteiro dos Jerónimos) is a former monastery of the Order of Saint Jerome near the Tagus river in the parish of Belém, in the Lisbon Municipality, Portugal; it was secularised on 28 December 1833 by state decree and its ownership transferred to the charitable institution, Real Casa Pia de Lisboa. The monastery is one of the most prominent examples of the Portuguese Late Gothic Manueline style of architecture in Lisbon. It was classified a UNESCO World Heritage Site, along with the nearby Tower of Belém, in 1983.
Mosteiro dos Jerónimos, Lisbon, Portugal
Mosteiro dos Jerónimos, Lisbon, Portugal
The Jerónimos Monastery (Portuguese: Mosteiro dos Jerónimos) is a former monastery of the Order of Saint Jerome near the Tagus river in the parish of Belém, in the Lisbon Municipality, Portugal; it was secularised on 28 December 1833 by state decree and its ownership transferred to the charitable institution, Real Casa Pia de Lisboa. The monastery is one of the most prominent examples of the Portuguese Late Gothic Manueline style of architecture in Lisbon. It was classified a UNESCO World Heritage Site, along with the nearby Tower of Belém, in 1983.
Mosteiro dos Jerónimos, Lisbon, Portugal
Mosteiro dos Jerónimos, Lisbon, Portugal
The Jerónimos Monastery (Portuguese: Mosteiro dos Jerónimos) is a former monastery of the Order of Saint Jerome near the Tagus river in the parish of Belém, in the Lisbon Municipality, Portugal; it was secularised on 28 December 1833 by state decree and its ownership transferred to the charitable institution, Real Casa Pia de Lisboa. The monastery is one of the most prominent examples of the Portuguese Late Gothic Manueline style of architecture in Lisbon. It was classified a UNESCO World Heritage Site, along with the nearby Tower of Belém, in 1983.
Mosteiro dos Jerónimos, Lisbon, Portugal
Mosteiro dos Jerónimos, Lisbon, Portugal
The Jerónimos Monastery (Portuguese: Mosteiro dos Jerónimos) is a former monastery of the Order of Saint Jerome near the Tagus river in the parish of Belém, in the Lisbon Municipality, Portugal; it was secularised on 28 December 1833 by state decree and its ownership transferred to the charitable institution, Real Casa Pia de Lisboa. The monastery is one of the most prominent examples of the Portuguese Late Gothic Manueline style of architecture in Lisbon. It was classified a UNESCO World Heritage Site, along with the nearby Tower of Belém, in 1983.
Mosteiro dos Jerónimos, Lisbon, Portugal
Mosteiro dos Jerónimos, Lisbon, Portugal
The Jerónimos Monastery (Portuguese: Mosteiro dos Jerónimos) is a former monastery of the Order of Saint Jerome near the Tagus river in the parish of Belém, in the Lisbon Municipality, Portugal; it was secularised on 28 December 1833 by state decree and its ownership transferred to the charitable institution, Real Casa Pia de Lisboa. The monastery is one of the most prominent examples of the Portuguese Late Gothic Manueline style of architecture in Lisbon. It was classified a UNESCO World Heritage Site, along with the nearby Tower of Belém, in 1983.
Mosteiro dos Jerónimos, Lisbon, Portugal
Praça do Comércio, Lisbon, Portugal
The Praça do Comércio is a large, harbour-facing square in Portugal's capital, Lisbon, being one of the largest in Portugal, with 175 by 175 m (574 by 574 ft), that is, 30,600 m2 (329,000 ft2). Facing the Tagus (Tejo) to the South, the city square is still commonly known in Portuguese as Terreiro do Paço as it hosted the Paço da Ribeira (Royal Palace of Ribeira) until it was destroyed by the great 1755 Lisbon earthquake (the subway station located there is still called after the old name of the square). After the earthquake, the square was completely remodeled as part of the rebuilding of the Pombaline Downtown (Baixa), ordered by Sebastião José de Carvalho e Melo, 1st Marquis of Pombal, who was (chief) Minister of Portugal from 1750 to 1777, during the reign of the Portuguese King José I.
Praça do Comércio, Lisbon, Portugal
Castelo de São Jorge, Lisbon, Portugal
São Jorge Castle (Portuguese: Castelo de São Jorge) is a historic castle in the Portuguese capital of Lisbon, located in the freguesia of Santa Maria Maior.
Castelo de São Jorge, Lisbon, Portugal
Castelo de São Jorge, Lisbon, Portugal
São Jorge Castle (Portuguese: Castelo de São Jorge) is a historic castle in the Portuguese capital of Lisbon, located in the freguesia of Santa Maria Maior.
Castelo de São Jorge, Lisbon, Portugal
Castelo de São Jorge, Lisbon, Portugal
São Jorge Castle (Portuguese: Castelo de São Jorge) is a historic castle in the Portuguese capital of Lisbon, located in the freguesia of Santa Maria Maior.
Castelo de São Jorge, Lisbon, Portugal
Convento da Ordem do Carmo, Lisbon, Portugal
The Convent of Our Lady of Mount Carmel (Portuguese: Convento da Ordem do Carmo) is a former Catholic convent located in the civil parish of Santa Maria Maior, municipality of Lisbon, Portugal. The medieval convent was ruined during the sequence of the 1755 Lisbon earthquake, and the destroyed Gothic Church of Our Lady of Mount Carmel (Portuguese: Igreja do Carmo) on the southern facade of the convent is the main trace of the great earthquake still visible in the old city.
Convento da Ordem do Carmo, Lisbon, Portugal
Castelo de São Jorge, Lisbon, Portugal
São Jorge Castle (Portuguese: Castelo de São Jorge) is a historic castle in the Portuguese capital of Lisbon, located in the freguesia of Santa Maria Maior.
Castelo de São Jorge, Lisbon, Portugal
Alfama, Lisbon, Portugal
The Alfama is the oldest neighborhood of Lisbon, spreading on the slope between the São Jorge Castle and the Tagus river. Its name comes from the Arabic Al-hamma (الحَمّة), meaning 'hot fountains' or 'baths,' akin to 'hammam' (حَمَّام). It contains many important historical attractions, as well as an abundance of Fado bars and restaurants.
Alfama, Lisbon, Portugal
Alfama, Lisbon, Portugal
The Alfama is the oldest neighborhood of Lisbon, spreading on the slope between the São Jorge Castle and the Tagus river. Its name comes from the Arabic Al-hamma (الحَمّة), meaning 'hot fountains' or 'baths,' akin to 'hammam' (حَمَّام). It contains many important historical attractions, as well as an abundance of Fado bars and restaurants.
Alfama, Lisbon, Portugal
Alfama, Lisbon, Portugal
The Alfama is the oldest neighborhood of Lisbon, spreading on the slope between the São Jorge Castle and the Tagus river. Its name comes from the Arabic Al-hamma (الحَمّة), meaning 'hot fountains' or 'baths,' akin to 'hammam' (حَمَّام). It contains many important historical attractions, as well as an abundance of Fado bars and restaurants.
Alfama, Lisbon, Portugal
Alfama, Lisbon, Portugal
The Alfama is the oldest neighborhood of Lisbon, spreading on the slope between the São Jorge Castle and the Tagus river. Its name comes from the Arabic Al-hamma (الحَمّة), meaning 'hot fountains' or 'baths,' akin to 'hammam' (حَمَّام). It contains many important historical attractions, as well as an abundance of Fado bars and restaurants.
Alfama, Lisbon, Portugal
Alfama, Lisbon, Portugal
The Alfama is the oldest neighborhood of Lisbon, spreading on the slope between the São Jorge Castle and the Tagus river. Its name comes from the Arabic Al-hamma (الحَمّة), meaning 'hot fountains' or 'baths,' akin to 'hammam' (حَمَّام). It contains many important historical attractions, as well as an abundance of Fado bars and restaurants.
Alfama, Lisbon, Portugal
Alfama, Lisbon, Portugal
The Alfama is the oldest neighborhood of Lisbon, spreading on the slope between the São Jorge Castle and the Tagus river. Its name comes from the Arabic Al-hamma (الحَمّة), meaning 'hot fountains' or 'baths,' akin to 'hammam' (حَمَّام). It contains many important historical attractions, as well as an abundance of Fado bars and restaurants.
Alfama, Lisbon, Portugal
Alfama, Lisbon, Portugal
The Alfama is the oldest neighborhood of Lisbon, spreading on the slope between the São Jorge Castle and the Tagus river. Its name comes from the Arabic Al-hamma (الحَمّة), meaning 'hot fountains' or 'baths,' akin to 'hammam' (حَمَّام). It contains many important historical attractions, as well as an abundance of Fado bars and restaurants.
Alfama, Lisbon, Portugal
Alfama, Lisbon, Portugal
The Alfama is the oldest neighborhood of Lisbon, spreading on the slope between the São Jorge Castle and the Tagus river. Its name comes from the Arabic Al-hamma (الحَمّة), meaning 'hot fountains' or 'baths,' akin to 'hammam' (حَمَّام). It contains many important historical attractions, as well as an abundance of Fado bars and restaurants.
Alfama, Lisbon, Portugal
Alfama, Lisbon, Portugal
The Alfama is the oldest neighborhood of Lisbon, spreading on the slope between the São Jorge Castle and the Tagus river. Its name comes from the Arabic Al-hamma (الحَمّة), meaning 'hot fountains' or 'baths,' akin to 'hammam' (حَمَّام). It contains many important historical attractions, as well as an abundance of Fado bars and restaurants.
Alfama, Lisbon, Portugal
Alfama, Lisbon, Portugal
The Alfama is the oldest neighborhood of Lisbon, spreading on the slope between the São Jorge Castle and the Tagus river. Its name comes from the Arabic Al-hamma (الحَمّة), meaning 'hot fountains' or 'baths,' akin to 'hammam' (حَمَّام). It contains many important historical attractions, as well as an abundance of Fado bars and restaurants.
Alfama, Lisbon, Portugal
Praça do Comércio, Lisbon, Portugal
The Praça do Comércio is a large, harbour-facing square in Portugal's capital, Lisbon, being one of the largest in Portugal, with 175 by 175 m (574 by 574 ft), that is, 30,600 m2 (329,000 ft2). Facing the Tagus (Tejo) to the South, the city square is still commonly known in Portuguese as Terreiro do Paço as it hosted the Paço da Ribeira (Royal Palace of Ribeira) until it was destroyed by the great 1755 Lisbon earthquake (the subway station located there is still called after the old name of the square). After the earthquake, the square was completely remodeled as part of the rebuilding of the Pombaline Downtown (Baixa), ordered by Sebastião José de Carvalho e Melo, 1st Marquis of Pombal, who was (chief) Minister of Portugal from 1750 to 1777, during the reign of the Portuguese King José I.
Praça do Comércio, Lisbon, Portugal
Praça do Comércio, Lisbon, Portugal
The Praça do Comércio is a large, harbour-facing square in Portugal's capital, Lisbon, being one of the largest in Portugal, with 175 by 175 m (574 by 574 ft), that is, 30,600 m2 (329,000 ft2). Facing the Tagus (Tejo) to the South, the city square is still commonly known in Portuguese as Terreiro do Paço as it hosted the Paço da Ribeira (Royal Palace of Ribeira) until it was destroyed by the great 1755 Lisbon earthquake (the subway station located there is still called after the old name of the square). After the earthquake, the square was completely remodeled as part of the rebuilding of the Pombaline Downtown (Baixa), ordered by Sebastião José de Carvalho e Melo, 1st Marquis of Pombal, who was (chief) Minister of Portugal from 1750 to 1777, during the reign of the Portuguese King José I.
Praça do Comércio, Lisbon, Portugal
Praça do Comércio, Lisbon, Portugal
The Praça do Comércio is a large, harbour-facing square in Portugal's capital, Lisbon, being one of the largest in Portugal, with 175 by 175 m (574 by 574 ft), that is, 30,600 m2 (329,000 ft2). Facing the Tagus (Tejo) to the South, the city square is still commonly known in Portuguese as Terreiro do Paço as it hosted the Paço da Ribeira (Royal Palace of Ribeira) until it was destroyed by the great 1755 Lisbon earthquake (the subway station located there is still called after the old name of the square). After the earthquake, the square was completely remodeled as part of the rebuilding of the Pombaline Downtown (Baixa), ordered by Sebastião José de Carvalho e Melo, 1st Marquis of Pombal, who was (chief) Minister of Portugal from 1750 to 1777, during the reign of the Portuguese King José I.
Praça do Comércio, Lisbon, Portugal
Elevador de Santa Justa, Lisbon, Portugal
The Santa Justa Lift (Portuguese: Elevador de Santa Justa), also called Carmo Lift (Portuguese: Elevador do Carmo), is an elevator in the civil parish of Santa Justa, in the historic center of Lisbon, Portugal. Situated at the end of Rua de Santa Justa, it connects the lower streets of the Baixa with the higher Largo do Carmo (Carmo Square).
Elevador de Santa Justa, Lisbon, Portugal
Elevador de Santa Justa, Lisbon, Portugal
The Santa Justa Lift (Portuguese: Elevador de Santa Justa), also called Carmo Lift (Portuguese: Elevador do Carmo), is an elevator in the civil parish of Santa Justa, in the historic center of Lisbon, Portugal. Situated at the end of Rua de Santa Justa, it connects the lower streets of the Baixa with the higher Largo do Carmo (Carmo Square).
Elevador de Santa Justa, Lisbon, Portugal
Elevador de Santa Justa, Lisbon, Portugal
The Santa Justa Lift (Portuguese: Elevador de Santa Justa), also called Carmo Lift (Portuguese: Elevador do Carmo), is an elevator in the civil parish of Santa Justa, in the historic center of Lisbon, Portugal. Situated at the end of Rua de Santa Justa, it connects the lower streets of the Baixa with the higher Largo do Carmo (Carmo Square).
Elevador de Santa Justa, Lisbon, Portugal
Ascensor da Glória, Lisbon, Portugal
The Glória Funicular (Portuguese: Ascensor da Glória) is a funicular railway line in the civil parish of Santo António, in the municipality of Lisbon, Portugal. It connects the Pombaline downtown (at the Restauradores Square) with the Bairro Alto (Garden/ Overlook of São Pedro de Alcântara).
Ascensor da Glória, Lisbon, Portugal
Ascensor da Glória, Lisbon, Portugal
The Glória Funicular (Portuguese: Ascensor da Glória) is a funicular railway line in the civil parish of Santo António, in the municipality of Lisbon, Portugal. It connects the Pombaline downtown (at the Restauradores Square) with the Bairro Alto (Garden/ Overlook of São Pedro de Alcântara).
Ascensor da Glória, Lisbon, Portugal
Buildings with Azulejo, Lisbon, Portugal
Azulejo is a form of Portuguese and Spanish painted tin-glazed ceramic tilework. Azulejos are found on the interior and exterior of churches, palaces, ordinary houses, schools, and nowadays, restaurants, bars and even railways or subway stations. They are an ornamental art form, but also had a specific functional capacity like temperature control in homes.
Buildings with Azulejo, Lisbon, Portugal
Buildings with Azulejo, Lisbon, Portugal
Azulejo is a form of Portuguese and Spanish painted tin-glazed ceramic tilework. Azulejos are found on the interior and exterior of churches, palaces, ordinary houses, schools, and nowadays, restaurants, bars and even railways or subway stations. They are an ornamental art form, but also had a specific functional capacity like temperature control in homes.
Buildings with Azulejo, Lisbon, Portugal
Buildings with Azulejo, Lisbon, Portugal
Azulejo is a form of Portuguese and Spanish painted tin-glazed ceramic tilework. Azulejos are found on the interior and exterior of churches, palaces, ordinary houses, schools, and nowadays, restaurants, bars and even railways or subway stations. They are an ornamental art form, but also had a specific functional capacity like temperature control in homes.
Buildings with Azulejo, Lisbon, Portugal
Buildings with Azulejo, Lisbon, Portugal
Azulejo is a form of Portuguese and Spanish painted tin-glazed ceramic tilework. Azulejos are found on the interior and exterior of churches, palaces, ordinary houses, schools, and nowadays, restaurants, bars and even railways or subway stations. They are an ornamental art form, but also had a specific functional capacity like temperature control in homes.
Buildings with Azulejo, Lisbon, Portugal
Convento da Ordem do Carmo, Lisbon, Portugal
The Convent of Our Lady of Mount Carmel (Portuguese: Convento da Ordem do Carmo) is a former Catholic convent located in the civil parish of Santa Maria Maior, municipality of Lisbon, Portugal. The medieval convent was ruined during the sequence of the 1755 Lisbon earthquake, and the destroyed Gothic Church of Our Lady of Mount Carmel (Portuguese: Igreja do Carmo) on the southern facade of the convent is the main trace of the great earthquake still visible in the old city.
Convento da Ordem do Carmo, Lisbon, Portugal
Convento da Ordem do Carmo, Lisbon, Portugal
The Convent of Our Lady of Mount Carmel (Portuguese: Convento da Ordem do Carmo) is a former Catholic convent located in the civil parish of Santa Maria Maior, municipality of Lisbon, Portugal. The medieval convent was ruined during the sequence of the 1755 Lisbon earthquake, and the destroyed Gothic Church of Our Lady of Mount Carmel (Portuguese: Igreja do Carmo) on the southern facade of the convent is the main trace of the great earthquake still visible in the old city.
Convento da Ordem do Carmo, Lisbon, Portugal
Convento da Ordem do Carmo, Lisbon, Portugal
The Convent of Our Lady of Mount Carmel (Portuguese: Convento da Ordem do Carmo) is a former Catholic convent located in the civil parish of Santa Maria Maior, municipality of Lisbon, Portugal. The medieval convent was ruined during the sequence of the 1755 Lisbon earthquake, and the destroyed Gothic Church of Our Lady of Mount Carmel (Portuguese: Igreja do Carmo) on the southern facade of the convent is the main trace of the great earthquake still visible in the old city.
Convento da Ordem do Carmo, Lisbon, Portugal